Supporting Veteran Success in Higher Education
This course will provide higher education professionals with the tools necessary to better understand, empathize with, and proctor the success of veterans in pursuit of their academic, personal, and professional goals.
Creating an inclusive community is more than simply legally mandated nondiscrimination. Policies, procedures, and protocols may inadvertently advantage one group or disadvantage another, resulting in a structural barrier to inclusion, and extra steps are needed to foster inclusion for those from underrepresented and marginalized groups.
Our hope is that the information provided in this course will deepen the understanding of student veterans, resulting in a more veteran inclusive campus.
This resource is designed to familiarize any faculty or staff member with military and veteran culture as well as veteran-specific considerations in the areas of admissions, finances, academic and student life, and health and well-being.
If you're interested in this course, please click on the link below to fill out a brief survey and to be added to our enrollment list.
Launch date is March 9th, 2022. Enrollment now open.
Preview some lessons from the course:
There are no videos with the provided filters.
Preview the course overview:
- Introduction to Military Structure
- A Deeper Dive into the Military
- Why Do People Join the Service?
- Military Culture
- Why Do People Leave the Service?
- Veterans: Definitions
- Transitioning to Civilian Life
- Veteran Stories and Experiences
- Communicating and Connecting with Veterans
- Veterans and Education
- Introduction to Admissions Considerations for Veterans
- Recruiting Student Veterans
- Examining Admission Policies for Veterans
- Partnering Between Two-Year and Four-Year Schools
- Reading the Veteran Application
- Introduction to Financing Veteran Education
- An Overview of Veterans Educational Benefits Through the VA
- Assisting Veterans in Understanding and Applying for VA Benefits and Other Aid
- FAFSA and CSS Profile Assistance, BAH and Housing Costs
- Assisting and Advising Veterans on Financial Issues After They/ve Enrolled
- Academic Advising and Support
- Syncing with the Rhythm of Campus
- Peer Resources
- Preparation for life after college
- An Introduction to Veteran Health and Wellbeing Considerations
- Physical Health
- Social Health
- Mental Health
CVTI is here to help!
Columbia University launched the Center for Veteran Transition and Integration to have a direct and lasting impact on the issue of veteran transition and upward mobility.
We offer the free programming veterans need as they transition from active service to college and the workforce. Check out our free courses:
Prepare to transition to college using intentional decision-making. This course is aimed at active duty service members and veterans. Learn about the college admission process, financial aid, and choosing a right-fit college.